Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother’s Day Weekend

Whew! what a weekend. On Friday Ellie and I drove down to Story City and met up with an old friend of mine, Scott. He was a miracle worker and actually got my driver’s side window to open and close! After dealing with the car window and watching Ellie pick all of the Dandelions outside of Scott’s trailer (there was also the explaining that yes, boys can be dirty and where they live can be smelly and, yes, it is alright to pet his cat zip) I gave Scott a lift to Roland so that he could pick up his motorcycle and then we went to my brother, David’s house to meet up with the folks and the rest of the family.

This weekend had multiple reasons for celebrating. 1. It was Mother’s Day weekend! 2. Abby was graduating from ISU! and  3. Sana and Mike managed to eke through 10 years of marriage! We spent the first night at the Grant Hotel and Suites in Ames Iowa and celebrated Mike and Sana’s anniversary at Old Chicago. We let the kids play in the pool and I took them up to the room for popcorn and a movie afterwards.

Saturday was the big party day for Abby. We transferred to the Comfort Inn in Story City and got ready for margaritas and some of the best brisket EVER! My brother smoked some amazing brisket and offered 3 amazing sauces to coat them in! After the party (and, let’s face it, all through the party) the kids enjoyed the large swimming pool! Scott and I booked over to Dollar General and got a couple of swim noodles and a inflatable swimming vest for Ellie. They had a blast… two little girls and a little boy… it is amazing they didn’t drop from exhaustion! After 7:30 Scott and I headed out on his Harley so that I could pay him back for fixing the car… the price: a sushi dinner. We hit this little hole in the wall restaurant in Ames called Shogun’s! The food was amazing and the prices were really reasonable.

Sunday saw our group back at David’s house, some of us having some more bites of the left over brisket and drinking pop. We exchanged Mother’s Day gifts and then helped Abby and Blaine pack up his truck in the process of getting Abby ready for the big move to Oklahoma! Ellie and Emily spent a good portion of the day in the backyard where there is an ocean of dandelions. I am so thankful that I found out that we all LOVE butter and that, yes, that yellow will wash out! Back to Shakopee by 6:30 PM… what a weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment