Sunday, April 21, 2013

Will Winter Ever End?

I have come to the conclusion that someone must be playing jokes on us. Last year in February I was walking in bare feet in the dry grass enjoying the warm weather… this year, April for crying out loud… and the weather man keeps talking about 6-8 inches of SNOW! So, what to do… we take the girls to the local AmericInn so that they can go swimming and while they are swimming we get to be overcome by the chlorine fumes! But… thank goodness for the swimming, my little one is now out cold, fast asleep and it isn’t even 9pm yet!

0040

So, this brings me to why I felt the need to write tonight. I don’t claim to be an eloquent writer. When I was in college, my roommate, an English Major, would proof read my papers and promptly point out every cliché I had written, and that was usually the bulk of my paper. Coming up with inspiring words and phrases to define events just seemed to be beyond my grasp that I kept slipping back to old sayings. Tonight, as my little girl was asking me to read her a book and afterward to, ‘Sleep wit me Momma!’ and I lay down beside her, kissing her cheek with her softly laughing that it tickled. I thought, this is something I want to remember. The soft humming from my little one as she slowly slips into slumber. The tightening and then releasing of the favorite duck that she must have in her arms. The grasping of my hand and the soft piano music playing. What a beautiful memory to keep. My little girl is a treasure in so many ways. Her firm voice when she is trying to broker a ‘deal’ so that she can have a treat. Saying that she ‘promises to do anything I want her to do’ while I am knowing that this will be a short term memory event. Her frustration with my quizzing her on how to spell words and letting me know in no uncertain terms that ‘A’ and ‘E’ confuse her and that it is making her head hurt. The joy I see in her face when she hears music and the inevitable dancing that ensues. All of this leads me back to my title, ‘Will Winter Ever End’ and the knowledge that, to me it doesn’t really matter if it ends. The days spent watching my little one grow up are so precious and, even though I would prefer to be finding crocus flowers bursting through the dry grasses with her, I can take just as much enjoyment from watching her yell out the car winter for the snow to ‘GO AWAY’.

901776_10200845108750883_59243926_o(1)

This picture, however, should not be happening again until after Thanksgiving… I hope someone is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment