Thursday, January 2, 2014

A time of joy and sorrows

Christmas, a wonderful time for both children and adults. It seems like my little one is growing so fast and our lives seldom have times for quiet contemplation yet, I like to find those moments so that I can reflect upon life’s happenings. This holiday season was fast and furious and filled with so many things.

Prior to December I started a new job which led to several changes in my little family. Ellie had to adjust to getting up a little earlier and instead of riding the bus, she is now enjoying the before and after school programs that are provided by the YMCA. We also joined the YMCA so that Ellie could take swimming lessons and so that Mommy could work on getting healthier. So far this has been working, Ellie has finished her Trout level and will be moving on to Star Fish in her next session. Mommy has lost weight and has gotten her blood pressure down. I will continue to work toward getting myself to better health and enjoying time with my little one playing in the pool!

My work is with a company called Acist Medical where I am employed on a 6-12 month contract to hire as a Data Analyst. It is very close to where we live and I have been enjoying the new challenges. I am hopeful that this will lead to a full time employment.

We were excited to host Christmas Eve dinner with my Mom and Dad and my sister, Sana and her family attending. I love to cook and decided on a seafood theme this year. The evening consisted of cheesy rotel dip followed by quickly cooked shrimp, stuffed clam shells, and my Mom’s clam chowder. For the main course I made broiled salmon coated with homemade pesto sauce and sliced lemons, roasted garlic mashed in baked potato (skin on), and steamed asparagus with a tarragon hollandaise sauce. This was followed by some homemade Christmas cookies. It was a beautiful snowy night and after Sana, Mike, Emily, and Mom went back to Jordan, Dad, Ellie and I went to look at some of the local Christmas lights. Ellie was excited for Santa to come and made sure to put out cookies, milk and water and carrots for the reindeer. Santa did not disappoint. Ellie got all the things she asked him for this year- a duck and Monster High dolls.

After Christmas we were privileged to witness the wedding of my dear brother David to Martina Hull. Their relationship has been filled with love and a commitment to each other that is truly amazing. I am so happy for my brother in the joy he is feeling in taking this new step in his life and are excited to welcome Martina as our sister and her amazing children into the fold of our family.

So many exciting things happening and then we get news that our dear cousin Michael Boice was missing. I am 13 years older than Michael and remember him mostly as a growing happy boy but also remember the last time I was able to spend time with Michael. We were able to go out with other cousins to enjoy time together and to take in a movie. If my memory serves me, the movie was Tommy Boy and I remember distinctly leaving the theater with all of us laughing and discussing how we enjoyed the movie.

Michael was found behind his boyhood home, having taken his own life, on January 1st.  Michael was a wonderful person filled with so many talents but also haunted by things that we all truly wished we could have help him fix. We are now left with the emptiness of his presence and the questions of ‘if’ that can never be answered. My thoughts and prayers go out to my Aunt Renae hoping that her family can enfold her in love and support that will help themselves as they help their mother.

In Memory of Michael

Those we Love remain with us,
for Love itself lives on.
Cherished memories never fade,
because a loved one is gone.
Those we Love can never be,
more than a thought apart.
For as long as there is a memory,
they’ll live on in our heart.
~Author Unknown

 

I will be posting pictures later of Christmas, the wedding and of course, remembrances of my cousin Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment