As I look back on the past year I am surprised at everything that Ellie and I have been through. I feel so very blessed to have this time to spend with her even though the financial situation is tough. She is so very funny. Today, after returning from the grocery store, she was in the back seat with her hand to her ear saying "I got to tell you something." I asked her who she was talking to and she told me it was a friend and continued on with her conversation.
For Christmas I moved her into a double bed. About four years ago I bought an antique bed frame that had been antiqued and rose mauled. It had some really pretty details but the paint was so thick I was hesitant to strip it. Well, this past summer I decided to take the plunge and with the help of a citrus stripper that was water soluble, I had the whole thing stripped by mid August. The wood was just beautiful underneath, walnut with a walnut "V" veneer detail in the main panels of both the head board and the kick board. As fall progressed and I saw my little girl's feet and head coming closer to each end of her crib I thought that I better start checking out mattress prices to get her moved in to the bed she would have going forward. I found a really nice innerspring mattress at Slumberland and the week of Christmas, with the help of my brother-in-law Mike, we hauled it upstairs and got it set up in her room. Just last week I finally got her crib broke down, after touching up the paint on it, and stored under her new bed. The dresser/changing table is still in her room but that I am using for toys. Now I just need to get it sold on Craig's List!
The next project is to complete painting those areas that have not yet been painted. I had points from my bank card that added up to enough to get a $50 gift card to Home Depot so I am going to figure out a nice color for Ellie's room and a color for the stairway and the upstairs landing. I am also going to check some prices for putting up curtains in the downstairs. I really hate the vertical blinds but feel they will look better with some nice curtains. The only difficulty is that the windows are wide and have a transome pane above. I don't want to have the curtains as tall as the window I just want them to start below the transome like the blinds, so I have to figure out what to use for a curtain rod that will not require a center support... probably wood or some PVC pipe, not sure yet.
For Christmas my sister gave me a Tagine. I have been experimenting with some Moroccan dishes and am please with my interpretation of Kafta (a Moroccan meatball). This next weekend I am going to try a chicken tagine dish. I have also developed a really good Moroccan flatbread that I am planning on making.
So much going on. It is a great time to be thankful for what we have, what we are capable of achieving, and the people who love and support us. Have a GREAT 2010!
Shelli & Ellie
No comments:
Post a Comment